Infill DevelopmentPilot Project
ERA were commissioned as the lead consultant by the Department of State Growth with Glenorchy City Council and the City of Hobart to undertake a strategic planning project to assist in facilitating increased infill residential development along the Glenorchy to Hobart Main Road Transit Corridor. A key objective of the project was to ensure that the infill sites identified, represented realistic, achievable infill development opportunities as well as a variety in the type and scale of development outcomes. To ensure this objective was achieved ERA worked collaboratively with experienced property economists.
The study area focussed on the Main Road transit corridor extending from the Hobart CBD through to the Glenorchy activity centre. Specifically it included:
- Within the Hobart City Council municipal area: sites within approximately 800 metres of either side of Elizabeth Street and New Town Road from Liverpool Street through to Creek Road.
- Within the Glenorchy City Council municipal area: sites within 800 metres of either side of Main Road extending from Creek Road to the intersection of Riverway Road.
The Project was divided into two stages. Stage One identified six strategic sites (priority sites) for infill development in the study area. Three sites in each municipal area of Glenorchy and Hobart were identified. Stage Two focussed on undertaking a comprehensive strategic planning and site development process for each of the priority sites. ERA worked collaboratively with an architecture firm in the preparation of a ‘structure plan’ or ‘site development plan’ for each of the sites. These plans incorporated:
- Identification of planning scheme amendments required to ensure infill development certainty;
- Advice on the feasibility on developing the sites, including market based advice; and
- Specific development options.
The level of detail and information in each site plan varied having regard to the relevant site characteristics and existing planning scheme controls.